A reader* wrote this email on Saturday. He or she included the original version of the story. Since then the story has changed, and it does now include mention of who carried out the mass-murder – nonetheless I think our reader makes some valid points about the first version. And the headline is still as ambiguous as ever:
I spotted this story on the BBC website this afternoon (Saturday). It’s the first section of their report on the latest suicide bombing.
Israel suicide attack kills 18
A suicide bomber has killed at least 18 people and injured up to 50 in an attack at a restaurant in the northern port of Haifa, Israeli police say.
The explosion occurred in the Maxim restaurant near Haifa’s beach promenade on the southern edge of the city.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the bombing, which comes on the eve of the Jewish Yom Kippur holiday.
“There was a security guard outside but the attacker managed to enter and blow up,” Israeli police chief Shlomo Aharonishky said.
“There was a very big explosion, which blew out the windows. It was horrible,” a witness told Israeli TV.
Three children are reported to be among the dead.
It is the first such attack since 9 September, when 15 people were killed in twin suicide bombings in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv.
Is it just me, or do others also find that headline misleading? Notice too, that the “P” word is missing from this part of the report. I suppose the Beeb cannot bring itself to admit that its Hamas, Islamic Jihad and al-Aqsa Martyrs’ heroes could even contemplate harming Jews. Even in the final paragraph, which discusses the back-to-back suicide bombings in August, they omit to mention that they were carried out by Palestinians. With any other organization, I’d attribute this simply to bad journalism. In the case of the BBC, however…..
On a related subject, look at the comments to the previous post for a quick comment on how the BBC dealt with the retaliatory strike.
*Let us know if you want your name used.